PACER Center’s 2019 Leadership Training
January 7, 2019
8161 Normandale Boulevard Bloomington
You are invited to apply for an exciting opportunity – PACER’s Annual Leadership Training for parents of children with disabilities!
To apply, you must be the parent of a child with a disability between the ages of 5 and 20 and be willing to commit to participate in the entire training. This year’s training will be held Thursday, February 28, 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m., Friday, March 1, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. and Saturday, March 2, 8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
This free training will take place at PACER Center at 8161 Normandale Boulevard in Bloomington. For trainees traveling more than 50 miles one way, we will provide non-smoking hotel accommodations (two trainees per room).
Following the completion of this training, trainees will be expected to be willing to engage in activities such as:
- helping PACER with workshops in your area
- helping PACER to advertise workshops in your area
- attending IEP meetings with parents of children with disabilities and serving as a note-taker for the parent
- speaking or writing to others in your community about children with disabilities
- working with policy-makers in your school district or other forums
This training will focus on an effective PACER developed tool refered to as the Parent Homework Sheet. This tool was developed to help parents understand how the needs of the student as stated in the ESR (Evaluation Summary Report) connect with the goals and support in the student’s IEP (Individualized Education Program).
During the Leadership Training, participants will have the opportunity to:
- Gain confidence and understanding of the special education process including IEP development
- Receive useful materials developed for parents of children with disabilities
- Gain training and experience in using and facilitating the completion of PACER’s Parent Homework Sheet
- Network with other Minnesota parents
To apply, please send an email about yourself including the disability and age of your child, your previous community and school involvement, and why you are interested in attending to email@example.com.
Please send this email by Tuesday February 7th. They will notify you if you are selected, by Thursday, February 9th. If you have any questions, please call Vava at 952-838-9000 or 800-537-2237. To use email, send your message to firstname.lastname@example.org .